Tart Calamondin Cocktail
Refreshing * Light * Slightly tart
Now that Spring has arrived, here's a refreshing and simple recipe to enjoy calamondin oranges that can be grown in your own home. This recipe is dry, light tasting and bubbly, and can be easily adjusted to suit your tastes for sweetness and strength.
- 2-3 calamondin oranges (miniature oranges)
- 1-2 tbsp sweetener (such as maple syrup, cane sugar, or honey)
- 1.5 ounces dry gin (Dillon's is a great choice!)
- 3 ounces soda water
- Slice of calamansi orange or peel, for garnish
In a low ball serving glass, combine the calamondin oranges, sweetener, and a splash of gin. Muddle to break down sweetener and release the tart citrus juices. Add remaining gin and stir well to combine.
- Optionally, scoop out or strain the calamondin oranges from the drink. The whole fruit is edible (though tart!), so feel free to leave them in.
Add your desired amount of ice, and top off with soda water to achieve the desired strength of your cocktail. 3 ounces is suitable for a stronger drink, and 4-5 ounces will yield one that's weaker.
Finally, garnish with a calamondin orange slice including the zest. Serve and enjoy!